Choosing a flooring option can be challenging because there’s a wide range of wood species to choose from. That’s why you need to keep the theme in mind when initiating a remodeling project.
Ideally, it would be best to opt for a durable and dense wood. However, before you do, learn about the differences between softwood and hardwood, so any decision you make is well-informed.
What is the difference between hardwood and softwood?
Hardwood floorboards are made with wood from deciduous trees, whereas softwood floorboards are made with conifer or evergreen trees. Some popular choices for softwood trees include redwood, fir, and pine trees. Hardwood floors are made with trees that have a more complex structure, such as oak, beech, maple, and birch.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of both hardwood and softwood floors.
Pros and cons of softwood floors
- Softwood floors are a popular decorative option because their versatility allows for all kinds of use cases. They are also easier to work with.
- Softwood trees tend to grow faster and are a more renewable source, making them more sustainable.
- Since these trees grow more quickly and are found in abundance, they are more accessible and affordable.
However, these trees are not suitable for high-traffic areas and can appear worn down over time.
Pros and cons of hardwood floors
- Hardwood floors have several pros, including being very durable and easy to clean. Moreover, any scratches and dents they incur are easy to fix.
- These floors are more durable, with denser cellular structures, and are available in a range of colors and finishes that are appropriate for any modern or contemporary upgrade around the home.
- Hardwood floors, such as those made with timber, are also more fire-resistant.
The cons of hardwood floors are that they are more expensive; however, they’re a worthy investment that lasts a long time. This means you don’t have to get them replaced too quickly and can settle for a refinishing to make them look brand new.
If you’re looking for wood flooring services Seattle, we can help. Five Star Hardwood Floor offers a wide range of services including refinishing existing floors, installing new floors, and repairing damage to floors. We make sure to do a thorough job with impeccable care because your satisfaction is our top priority.